Thursday, December 22, 2011

Car-related post!

And now, to car-related items!

There is not much going on in the world of cars and racing for me as the off-season begins. The BMW has been winterized and last night, even when driving on ice-covered roads, the car was sure-footed and confidence-inspiring. There is still the occasional clunk from the left-rear suspension, but I have ordered the parts that I believe will finally rid me of the problem. I hope Marc will have time to install them in the next couple of weeks.

The Civic is still at Marc's house. When he has time, he works on it. We just ordered a bunch of bushings that he will install. I have decided that I would like to enter the car in a 12-hour enduro at New Jersey Motorsports Park at the end of April 2012 and the car will need several modifications (mostly small ones) to be legal for the SCCA's ITS class. The Civic will probably not be a strong ITS car, but it will not be as outclassed as it would in ITE, which is essentially an open class with highly modified cars. One of the bigger jobs would be adding a harness bar to the roll cage and removing some braces create too many contact points on the chassis. Marc can also take care of this.

The planning of such a race is a daunting task, but I have decided to start early and see if I can round up three other drivers and a bunch of crew members. Seb Rochon of Bimmershop has won this event before and it would  be nice to have him around next year to give us some pointers on our first enduro over three hours. Speaking of three-hour enduros, I realized the other day that the Civic has now run ten of them, and finished them all. The car may not be that quick, but it's pretty reliable!

In November, I submitted a couple of articles to the AutoJournals web site (http://www.auto-journals.com/) and I found out this week that the journal about the M3 was accepted. Neat! I don't really have much to add to the initial journal entry so far, as the M3 is a street car without too many issues, but I will try to think of something interesting to say about it in the future.

Other thoughts, in no particular order:
- I like the Hyundai Veloster. I think it looks awesome.
- Toyota: your new Camry and Yaris look just like the old ones. What gives? You used to style cool cars, like the Celica and Supra!
- I have seen a few Boxster's on winter tires. I'm glad to see people actually driving their cars in winter!
- Another racing buddy has bought an E36 M3 as a track car. I am jealous!
- Marc has a rear-wheel-drive 1986 Corolla GTS sleeping in his parents' garage. I wish I could buy it! Talk about a practical classic car!
- I saw a new Saab 9-5. I didn't know there would be any new Saab's. I thought they were bankrupt!
- I came across some cars on display in a shopping center near my office. Highlights : an Alfa Romeo Montreal and an Aston Martin Lagonda... wow.

Photobucket
Lagonda

Photobucket
Montreal

Photobucket
Neat JDM truck

Photobucket
Really clean 80's Jag spotted the other day

Cool cars spotted:
AMG C63 Coupe
AMG C63
AMG G55
Mercedes 500E
Hummer H1
Saab Viggen
Audi S8
Audi RS4
Porsche Targa 4S

No comments:

Post a Comment