Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Finally got my butt off the couch.

It's been more than five weeks since the marathon and I hadn't gone on a single run until today. The weather was lovely, so I left work a bit early so I could get in a 13 km run on Mount Royal before dark set in (a bit after 6:00 pm), as the Olmsted path is not lit. I went out a bit slow, but quickly got into a decent rhythm. My heart rate did not remain very low, but I was able to maintain the high 150's and low 160's for quite a while. I completed the distance in under 58 minutes for what I believe is the first time ever. Now, a couple of hours later, I feel fine. I needed that, especially since last Friday's basketball game was cancelled and I haven't had much physical activity. I guess this just proves that I should get out for a run more often.

Other than that, Alex and I have both been busy with work. I know the holidays are still a few weeks off, but I look forward to a little break. We have booked a trip to Mexico for spring break and are looking into a trip to Holland (and possibly the Nurburgring?) in April. These dates are still a loooong way off.

I have been watching BTCC races over the past few days. It makes me wish I could afford to do a bit more racing in the Civic. It doesn't look like there will be any other opportunities to drive the car again this year. Bummer. At least I have the BMW, which is extremely pleasant to drive on the softer winter tires. I swapped the pads on the car for some used street pads, as both Alex and I were sick of the constant squealing of the performance pads that came with the car. I have to say that I am extremely impressed with the performance of the pads I just removed (I don't even know what brand they are, but I suspect they are Hawk HP Plus due to the noise). I have driven 20 000 km on them and they still have a ton of thickness left. Also, I can feel a definite difference in the bite of these pads versus the street ones I just put on. Too bad they squeal like a scared piglet! Also, too bad the brake pad wear sensor broke when I removed it (and, of course, I did not have a spare one on hand!).

I have to say that I am still fascinated with my new phone. I hadn't realized that it was going to be like having a little laptop in my pocket at all times. It's crazy having this much information available all the time. Also, it's like I'm always carrying around a decent camera in my pocket in case I spot something worthy of shooting (OK, mostly cars!). In fact, even though we are in November, there are still some pretty cool cars on the road:

I spotted this BMW 1M on German plates, complete with a Nurburgring sticker. It must be a European delivery car:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I saw this nice AMG SLS in virtually the same spot:

Photobucket

And I photographed this BMW 3.0 CS at a red light. OK, I admit the camera cannot deal with every situation!
Photobucket

Cool cars spotted:

Audi R8
Audi 200 Avant Quattro
AMG G55
AMG SLS
Maserati Quattroporte
Maserati GT
Lamborghini Gallardo
Nissan GTR
Nissan Skyline GT-R R32
Opel GT
Toyota Supra TT
Toyota MR2 (mk.1)
Alfa Romeo Spider
E28 BMW M5
BMW 1M
BMW 3.0 CS
Shelby GT500
Ford Mustang Cobra SVT
Bentley Continental GT
Porsche 997 Targa S
Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Porsche 997 Turbo
MGB-GT

No comments:

Post a Comment