Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Summer rolls on...

As summer rolls on, I have been focusing more on driving my race car than other sports, like basketball or running. In the running department, Nico has found out he has a knee condition that will prevent him from trail running. As a result, we will not be participating in the Asics X-Trail this year. This is somewhat of a relief, as I was not keeping up with the training plan at all...

The basketball seasons will be starting up again in a few weeks, and that will take up 3 evenings per week. I figured I might as well attend as many driving events as I can before that. Unfortunately, the problem with third gear on the race car has worsened, and in my last session on track Monday, a missed downshift was a contributing factor in my heading off the track in the esses. My lap times were poor anyway (1:05.2), and I blame the combination of old tires and having to keep my hand on the shifter in third gear. This created a dilemma, as there are several lapping events remaining in the season, and the car is now extremely unpleasant to drive. The solution? Buying another transmission to use for the rest of the season. I will pick up a new used transmission tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully have it installed before the weekend. It does not have a limited-slip differential or the 4.78 final drive, but it should get the job done. There is a lapping day this Sunday organised by ASE which I hope to attend.

Here are some great photos by JAG of my mediocre lapping sessions from Monday:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

News of Alex:
Alex taught her first class at UIC yesterday, and it went very well. I am not surprised, but I'm happy to hear that she likes teaching this class. Sadly, I have no video to post, as Alex staunchly refuses to record her presentations and classes on video or even audio.

Cool cars spotted:
Rolls-Royce Corniche
Rolls-Royce Phantom coupe (I did not know such a car existed)
Porsche 997 GT3
Ferrari 360 Spyder
Bentley Arnage

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!
    Maybe one time you can come and film, only if you put the video on the blog after :)

    ReplyDelete