Friday, September 10, 2010

Catching up...

... or should I say catching my breath! I have been pretty busy with work and time has been flying. As I mentioned in my last post, the race car was receiving a new transmission to finish out the season. The installation went well and the tranny shifts nicely. The car is not really that much slower, despite the lack of a limited-slip differential.

I finally decided to get some real racing done this season! Carl and I will share driving duties at the ICAR Sundown 3-hour enduro tomorrow. Carl bought us some brand new tires. It should be a fun race, although we have been lumped into an "under 2.0 liter" class, so we will not be that competitive. Still, as long as there is someone to race with, it will be enjoyable.

On Sunday, I will be instructing at a Fiat/Alfa club event at St-Eustache. It will be a car-intensive weekend!

There was no lapping this past Monday, but on the previous Monday, I drove a BMW 135 for a couple of laps and it was really quite a pleasant drive, with lots of torque. Fun little car!

I saw a fully electric truck on the road for the first time yesterday. It was a Frito-Lay truck. I guess this is the beginning of a new era. Electric vehicles will no longer be seen as novelties, but rather as part of everyday life.

Next Wednesday, we are holding out first basketball tryouts of the season at College Reine Marie. We hope to be able to put together three teams this year. I hope most of my team from last year shows up, as most of them were young enough to play in "benjamine" for another year, which could lead us to winning a few more games. Also, one of the older girls volunteered to be my assistant. It would be nice to have a reliable assistant!

I plan to refine my coaching philosophy this year and make the following changes:
- set out the requirements and punishments with the girls on the first day, then make them sign a "contract" on the following day incorporating the terms upon which we agreed (you're never too young to learn about contracts!)
- talk more about the philosophy of teamwork and the general principles behind basketball
- focus more on team-building, enthusiasm and confidence
- try to be less of a softie.

As is the case with many sports, performing well is not just about what skills you have, but also how you feel and your level of confidence. In team sports, the confidence issue extends to how much confidence you have in your teammates. I hope I am right about this!

I have been going running every other evening for the past few days, because I find it's a nice way to end the day (before talking to Alex on Skype) and because I like running when the temperature is a bit cooler. I am gradually getting my cardio back into shape.

I bought a Playstation 3 and have been playing Gran Turismo Prologue (although not much this week, due to a lack of time). Gran Turismo 5, the complete version of the game, comes out in a few weeks. The online play is fun, although I usually get crushed.

News of Alex:
Alex is still in Chicago, but she will be back for a long weekend in one week. Needless to say, we are both looking forward to that weekend! We get to talk on Skype and her class, although labour-intensive for her, is going well. I think she has the same parental instincts vis-à-vis her students as I have towards my basketball players!

Cool cars spotted:

Very clean 1984 Civic
Very clean 1982 VW Rabbit
BMW M6 (1987)
BMW M6 (new)
Audi S8 V10
Audi S6 V10
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
Shelby GT500
Bentley Arnage
Bentley Continental
Dodge Viper SRT10
Dodge Viper ACR
Aston Martin DBS
Aston Martin DB9
Aston Martin Vantage
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Maserati Spyder
Ferrari F430
Ferrari 458 Italia (! first time ever)
Ferrari 456
Ferrari California
Ferrari F355
Noble M400 (!!)
Ford GT
Porsche 912
Porsche 997 Turbo
Porsche 930
1970's Porsche 911S
Lotus Elise
Nissan GTR
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR
Nissan Pulsar GTiR
AMG C63
AMG SL55
AMG E63

No comments:

Post a Comment