Tuesday, September 1, 2009

There's racing and then there's racing...

As has happened in the past, I have been having trouble finding time to post here! I have not been terribly busy with car stuff, although I have attended one time attack as well as every Monday night of lapping with my Civic. I've also been sticking to my running plan to get ready for a cross-country half-marathon on October 17th at Mount Orford. Our training program now has us running four times a week. On Saturday, I ran 21 km in the Parc de la Mauricie with Nico, followed by a 16 km run on Sunday. We're starting to log some serious miles. We are seriously considering entering a 21 km trail race this weekend near Quebec City. The weather forecast will be a factor... we already tried running 21 km in the rain and it was not terribly fun.
I decided not to run the auto racing event at ICAR this weekend for a couple of reasons. First, I wanted to save some money. Second, they shortened the planned 3-hour race to less than 90 minutes. This makes it impossible to do with three drivers. I will let JP and Pascal take the car. They always bring it back in better condition than when they borrowed it.
The car has continued to run well. In the time attack at St-Eustache on August 16th, I had some pretty old tires. My best time was a 1:04.08. I was quite disappointed not to get down into the 1:03's. The car really needs good tires to put down fast times because it has so little torque! The following day, I managed 1:04.28. On the 24th at lapping, I managed to cord two of my four tires (still ran a 1:04.42 in that session!) and then lost my muffler. Here some of Jeremy's pics of that evening:

Photobucket

The muffler, lying on the track:
Photobucket

Apart from that minor setback (I recuperated the muffler and clamped it back onto the car), the car has continued to perform reliably. Last night, I borrowed some 225-45-15 RA1'a to replace the corded tires and managed a 1:03.86, without losing my muffler. I also got to drive an Audi RS4 for a couple of laps, which was quite fun. The car is fast, but feels very heavy.
My next race will be Mosport in two weeks. I just picked up some decent used tires yesterday which should last through the event. It will be my first time trying the Toyo R888's.
Cool cars spotted:
New m6
Old m6 (with gold BBS wheels!)
Lotus Esprit V8
New M5
New M3
Bentley Arnage
Ferrari 360
Ferrari 355
Ferrari 430
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Porsche 997 turbo
Porsche 997 GT3
Porsche 996 GT3
Aston Martin Vantage
AMG C63
AMG SL63
AMG CLS63
Dodge Viper ACR
C5 Corvette Z06
C6 Corvette Z06
Cadillac CTS-V
Cadillac XLR
Audi RS4
Audi S6
Audi S5
Ford GT

No comments:

Post a Comment