Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Various happenings

Well, I've recovered from Mosport. Unfortunately, the race car broke down Monday night while on the track at St-Eustache. I was coming out of the Caroussel when the motor started to make weird noises, like it was running on 2 cylinders or something. I had it towed to Pat Boyer's place and am waiting to hear what he finds out. The car was running strong before the breakdown. Too bad. If the car is fixed in time, JP might take it to Tremblant this weekend for the Fall Classic.

I've been talking about building a low-powered race car for a long time now. It's not a realistic project, in that I have no money or space for a second race car, and I don't really feel like selling the Civic after all the effort and money that Trac has invested in it. What I really wanted was a car that slotted well into American classes (SCCA and NASA) so that I could eventually participate in longer enduros. My dream is to eventually run in a 24-hour race, like the one at Nelson Ledges.

A few factors have led me to think that the best solution might me to modify my car to bring it inline with Improved Touring specifications. This would place the car in ITS. I thought that this would entail a ton of modifications, but a close examination of the rule book has shown me that the process might not be that costly or painful. The main item would be the engine: I would have to remove my forged B18 and install a B16a2, the original engine that came with the car. That would mean a loss of about 60 hp. However, driving JP's car has reminded me that the B16 is a great little engine and the almost stock setup mandated by IT rules would make for a very reliable setup. Also, these motors are cheap and plentiful. I just spotted one for sale locally for only 700 $.

It would be hard to win races in ITS, as the Integra GSR, BMW 325 and second generation RX7 are all in that class. Still, it would be fun to have a more reliable car that can get more then 72 minutes out of a tank of gas. I am seriously considering jumping into this project., especially if Pat tells me there is a major issue with my current motor...

Cool cars spotted:
Audi R8
Audi RS4
Audi S4 wagon
Ferrari F430
Corvette Z06
new M3
Nissan GT-R
1976 Jaguar XJ6
Aston Martin Vainquish
Nissan Pulsar GTiR
rhd EG Civic SiR

No comments:

Post a Comment