Thursday, June 14, 2012

It’s been a busy time, with many automotive activities and baby preparations. I have been driving the Civic as much as possible. Marc was able to rapidly change my power steering pump and fix the exhaust leak, so I was back on track without missing any events. On June 4th, I managed to match my best lap time from last year at St-Eustache, a 1:01.2.

On Friday the 8th, I went to the Formula 1 practice sessions at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve with Rob. Although we got soaked, we had a pretty good time.

The following day, I headed to Tremblant to instruct with the BMW Club of Quebec. The car was quick and I was driving with confidence right from the start, as I had been there only 2 weeks before. The lap times were similar to those of the race weekend (best of 1:58.6) but after a couple of sessions, I began to see power steering fluid accumulating in the driver foot well. I guess the power steering rack could not take the pressure from the new pump. Other than that, the car performed well and I had a fun weekend.

On Monday the 11th, I was lapping when I lost all drive. It turned out I had broken an axle. I was about to call CAA for a tow when Pascal offered to change it on the spot. I could not believe it… it took him about 15 minutes and I did not even miss a single session on track. In my last session, I managed a 1:01.168, my best lap ever, although still far off what I should be doing. I was having more and more trouble getting the car into gear though, and I decided to again bring the car to Marc so we can first replace the shifter, then see if the synchros are OK.

Here is a pic of Pascal doing a lightning-fast axle change on my Civic:

Photobucket

Of course, with Grand Prix weekend, there were many, many exotic cars to be seen on the streets of Montreal, including such rarities as a Ferrari 599 GTO and a Bugatti Veyron. I saw a couple of Scion FRS’s and the styling is really nothing special. I also saw a Fiat 500 Abarth and, although I’m sure it’s a great little car, it looks vitually identical to other versions of the 500.

Cool cars spotted:

   
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

BMW Z8
BMW Z4M Coupe
BMW M6 (1988)
BMW 1M
Rolls-Royce Phantom
Ferrari FF
Ferrari 458
Ferrari F430
Ferrari F355
Ferrari 360
Ferrari 599
Ferrari California
Ferrari 599 GTO (!)
Audi R8 V10
Lexus ISF
Maclaren MP4-12C
Porsche 997 GT3 RS
Porsche Boxster Speedster
Porsche 996 GT3
Porsche 997 Turbo
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Bugatti Veyron (!)
Aston Martin DB7
Aston Martin DB9
Scion FRS
Saab Turbo X
AMG C63
AMG E63
AMG G55
AMG SL63
AMG CLS63
Nissan GTR
Isuzu Vehi-Cross
Toyota Supra TT

No comments:

Post a Comment