Monday, April 4, 2011

It's hard to be sure spring is really here...

It seems to go down to 0 degrees every night. It snowed a bit today. I'm glad I kept the winter wheels on the BMW. The Civic is being tuned by my friend Marc at his place (Marc is the guy who built the Lotus Seven replica which I test drove last year at St-Eustache). When I saw the shopping list of parts that were needed to refresh the car, I was glad that my race car is a Civic and not a BMW or Porsche. As soon as I get the car back, I will be able to park near where I live for the first time ever, as I have rented an indoor parking spot in the neighbourhood. I can't wait!

My first chance to drive the Civic will be the St-Eustache AISA race school in two weeks. I hope the weather is warmer than it has been in the last few days! A week after that, I might instruct at the BMW Club of Quebec open house at Sanair. If I do, I will try to find a friend to help me get both cars there so I can try them both out.

I am watching the NCAA final on TV as I write this. It's 13-8 for UConn after 8 minutes. I have not been able to find a non-championship game for the girls yet, but I hope the activities technician at the school manages to figure something out. If we don't schedule a game soon, I am afraid it will be very difficult to keep the girls motivated. Still, 10 of 12 uninjured players showed up last Friday (and I'm pretty sure one of the other two was in detention!). My men's team will play in the wild card playoff game this Friday evening. If we lose, our season is over. If we win, we will be in the best-of-three semi-finals. Our team has been plagued by injuries and we never really got into a groove, unlike last year. Still, we have some strong players. It would be sad to see the season end so soon.

I went running again last Wednesday. I managed 10 km, but was unable to maintain the 4:30 pace as I had last Sunday. The following days, I had quite a lot of pain in the lower part of my hamstring. I was not sure if it was an injury, or just soreness. I ran half a block on Saturday to see if I could even run at all. I had received an invitation to run with Franck and the gang from the Running Room Sunday morning at 8:30. After the short test, I figured I would be OK to run. By the end of Saturday evening, though, I had drank half a bottle of wine and eaten a lot, including several cheeses and a very dense dessert. I went to bed without setting an alarm, not planning to run in the morning. However, at 7:22 am, I was awakened by my smoke detector, which had gone on the fritz. I knew I would not be able to fall back asleep, so I got ready to go running. I didn't have much breakfast food, so I ate a banana and a Power Gel. Franck was going to run 30 km (ouch!) and my plan was to join him for 10 km. I met the group and we headed down towards the Lachine Canal at a leisurely pace (4:50-5:00 per km). It was cool and sunny, a beautiful day. When I first looked at my distance run, I was already over 5 km. Since it was out and back, that meant i would be exceeding 10 km, but I did not mind. I felt surprisingly good, despite the food, wine and hamstring. It must have been the weather. I turned back after 7.5 km and, after struggling to climb Peel street to its top, ran a total of 15 km. Although I was a little sore today, I am pretty happy with how my mini-comeback to running has gone.

Cool cars spotted:
Aston Martin Vainquish (!)
Aston Martin Vantage
C6 Corvette Z06
AMG C63
AMG E63
AMG G55
Porsche 959 (! same one as last year)
Porsche 997 Turbo
Porsche 993 Targa
BMW M3 E92
BMW M3 E90
BMW M6
Bentley Continental
Maserati Quattroporte
Jaguar XF-R
Lexus IS-F
Audi RS4
Audi S6 Avant
Audi R8 Spyder
Ferrari 360 (pulled over by cops)

No comments:

Post a Comment