Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Basketball team is a GO

After tryouts last week, I held the first practice for my grade 7-8 girls' basketball team today. Things are looking up this year. Seven girls from last year's team are back (all those eligible, in fact) and 11 girls tried out for the final five spots. It was difficult to cut girls who actually knew how to play (a luxury, compared to the past two years) but the result should be a strong team. Another bonus this year: I have an enthusiastic assistant coach, a player from the grade 11 team.

At the practice, I told the girls I would be increasing the discipline level. It had been pointed out, by my own players, that I was not tough enough on them last year. This year, I thought I would try something different. The plan was to teach the girls about contract negotiation by working out, as a group, the various punishments for infractions like arriving late or missing practice. The first part has gone well, in that we negotiated the punishments. We will now have to see if the application of the contract goes well.

As far as talent and skill go, this seems to be my best team yet. I think it is realistic that we might win 1/2 of our games this year. Stay tuned...

This weekend, I will be participating in the Fall Classic at Tremblant. It seemed the perfect way to end the racing season. I have not raced there since 2005, but I got quite a bit of track time last month at the VAG track day and got familiar with the track again. I know I will not be winning any prizes, but it should be an enjoyable (although rainy) weekend. It's been a busy week at work trying to get enough done to afford the day off for Friday practice. There is plenty of track time on offer, including three races. Should be fun!

I saw the new Honda CR-Z on the road. I did not get a really good look, but I did not especially like what I saw.

News of Alex.
Alex was back in Montreal for the weekend. I hope she enjoyed herself, I know I enjoyed having her here. She is working very hard in Chicago, so it was nice to see her taking a breather. She is now back there teaching her class. Luckily for me, she will be back for another visit in October. I miss her when she's gone!

Cool cars spotted:
Ferrari F430
Ferrari California
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lotus Elise
Aston Martin Vantage
Porsche 996 GT2
Porsche 997 GT2
Porsche 993 Turbo
Mazda RX7 twin turbo
AMG C63
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Bentley Continental
Rolls Royce Ghost
Corvette Z06
1965 Mustang

No comments:

Post a Comment