Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mosport on Thanksgiving Day

Well, it's a bit late to be posting about Mosport last Monday, but I've had a busy few days. The ASE lapping club was hosting a track day at Mosport and it was a great opportunity to get in some useful laps at the track where I never seem to get comfortable. I joined Carl and the others in the West Island at lunch time Sunday so we could head over there in a convoy.

Photobucket

One of the club members got a car transporter to carry his and his buddies' cars (2 STi's, an S2000 and a Lexus IS-F) along with a 50's Jeep Willys and some 4-wheelers. The trip down was uneventful and we had some great BBQ after our arrival. I camped and slept in the cold (around 0 degrees) but woke up to a promising looking day, that is to say, it wasn't raining.

I slapped some almost finished Toyo 888's on the front with two of the 888's i used in the enduro in the rear. We would have access to the track for seven 30-minute sessions, a ridiculous amount of track time.

My car was performing beautifully and and by the end of the first session, I was within only a couple of tenths of a second of my best lap time from the enduro. Not too bad considering it was only about 5 degrees out there. One of our more enthusiastic members crashed quite heavily in turn four, but he was not injured and not too worried about the car that got totaled, as he had already begun work on a proper race car.

Photobucket

I was having a blast in the advanced group and playing around with JP and other fellow
instructors. I got into a good groove following a nicely built Nissan 240 SX race car that seemed very close to mine in performance and clocked 3 laps in a row in the 1:43 range, which is a second faster than my fastest lap ever before that since changing to the 1.6 liter engine.

I had the passenger seat and had Jeremie, one of our members, along for a ride. After a couple of fun laps (Jeremie had never yet experienced R-compound tires), the throttle cable broke. Fortunately, for me, after I drove the car into the pits using only idle, Sajan, who was the unlucky guy who had balled up his car earlier, was waiting with the throttle cable from his Civic and managed to install it in mere minutes. That is the type of camaraderie that makes our club so great.

In the final session of the day, I was trying to keep up with JP and a Mustang, but I just couldn't do it, although I managed a 1:44.0 while trying, which is still pretty quick for me. When I pulled in and began to prepare the car for the ride home, I noticed that the two front tires were corded, one of them badly. I guess that means that I was getting close to the maximum out of the car, considering the condition of the tires. All in all, I was more than happy with my driving, as I feel I am slowly but surely improving at Mosport.

Cool cars spotted:
Bentley Arnage
Bentley Continental
Audi R8
Audi RS4
Audi RS6
Citroen Moke
Nissan GT-R
Lotus Exige
AMG C63
AMG CLS63
Ferrari 328
Aston Martin DB9
Maserati GT
Lexus IS-F
BMW M3
E30 M3
BMW M5
Carlsson Mercedes 190E

No comments:

Post a Comment