Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Time flies!

Wow, already nine days since my last post. Time sure flies. It actually snowed last night. I had to search in the storage area for the frikkin show brush this morning... guess it's time to throw on the winter tires.

I went to look at this used car the other day:

I have been toying with the idea of buying an old Saab as a sort of project car. I have fond memories of th 1989 Sport 900 I used to have. Alex remembers that same car as a piece of crap. Anyway, there is a classic 900 I have seen a few times in the neighbourhood which seemed to be in solid condition. I always thought that if it was ever for sale, I might be interested.

Well, sure enough, I see the car on Craigslist for 650$. I make an appointment to go see the car and the body is as good as I remembered it. Not a single real spot of rust, no holes. It turns out it's an imported Vermont car. When I took a closer look, I noted several issues besides the fact that the car needed a whole new exhaust system:

- no cruise control (not great for road trips)
- non-functional A/C
- non-functional ABS
- non-functional airbag
- non-functional driver's side window
- broken shift knob
- the number 900 was gone from the trunk

If you wanted to fix even 1/2 these items, you would almost be in the price range of a nice 2001 9-3. Also, the car felt old. The controls and materials simply did not feel modern. It was a 1992, but felt like a vintage car. What's funny is that during the test drive, there was another classic 900 behind me on the road, a Sport 900 with the wing and Minilite style wheels. I took it as a sign: buy the one you really want, don't settle for less. When you think of the money and time you will spend on the car, it's worth waiting or paying a little more. I noticed that today, a few days later, the car is advertised for 500$ must sell. Go down another 400$ and I might be willing to take it off your hands!

As for the race car, I picked up a rear bumper beam. One more thing to check off the list to make the car ITS legal.
There are still some cool cars out there, but the number will surely decrease due to weather:
Audi S8
Audi RS6
Audi RS4
Lamborghini Gallardo
Maserati GT
Volvo P1800
RHD Mitsubishi Pajero Turbo
Bentley Continental GT
Porsche 911 GT3
MGB (good year)

No comments:

Post a Comment