Saturday, March 22, 2008

Still cold... hard to imagine it's spring!

As I write this on March 22nd 2008, it's -8 degrees outside. It still looks and feels like winter and it's quite depressing. The first track school is in 3 weeks and I'd really like one of my Civics to be ready to drive. It looks like it will have to be the blue one. Unfortunately, things have not been moving forward on that car, only backwards. I had noticed a couple of days ago that the clutch engagement was pretty low in the pedal travel. Well, yesterday, the clutch pedal had no effect at all. It turns out there was no hydraulic fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. I added some and pumped the pedal a few times, but I know that is not the proper way to bleed the system. Anyway, the clutch works now and the fluid level is stable, although the engagement is still low.

Also, the grind on the 2-3 shift seems to be getting worse. When we did the swap, we only put some cheap-o motor oil in the tranny. I'm hoping that upgrading to Honda oil or Motul will help that situation a bit. I finally picked up the B-pipe to replace the rusted out one on the car. I've decided not to upgrade the exhaust system, except to the extent that this B-pipe is a bit bigger than the old one, as it comes from an Si.

I bought back some pretty used Hankook K104's that I had sold to a friend to replace the ones on my ASA wheels, which are in pretty rough shape. These are only a little better, and they will suck in the rain. I haven't decided what to do for wheels and tires. I will probably paint another set of wheels I have lying around, some 15x6.5, and mount my last of old Toyo RA-1's on them.

For the suspension, I also haven't decided what to do. I want to keep costs on the street car to an absolute minimum, to save my little bit of disposable income for some race tires and entry fees to do a couple of events. I only have the OEM shocks that are on the car. I have some Neuspeed Race springs and some Progress street springs. I don't know if it's worth installing either of these sets of springs on the OEM shocks. I would like to have a summer suspension and a winter suspension. Hopefully, I can pick up some used shocks and then have whole assemblies that can swapped in every spring and fall.

So on the street car, I need to change the oil, the tranny oil, the B-pipe on the exhaust, decide what to do with the suspension and mount a couple of tires on the summer wheels. It's just not motivating to get started on all these things when it's -8 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment