Monday, December 3, 2007

Walking vs. driving

It snowed all day and it's still snowing. I think about a foot of snow has fallen so far. I walked to work today (as usual) and it was very pleasant. I saw a bunch of cars struggling to move, most of them not equipped with winter tires. I also saw a couple of Chrysler 300's barely moving. I bet a good percentage of people who bought these cars didn't really know what the difference between FWD and RWD. One advantage of walking over driving: the snow barely slows me down as a pedestrian.

When I got home, I decided to brush the snow off the car while it was still fluffy. Luckily I remembered where I parked: there was not one bit of blue visible. I could only make out the black Civic passenger-side mirror. I swept off enough snow to open the driver door and see out the windows. Without any shovelling, I managed to pull the car right out of its spot under its own power. So far, I'm very impressed both with my Canadian Tire winter tires and the Civic itself as a winter car.

I look forward to driving the car at Snowcross events in Ottawa starting next month. I don't know if it will be as effective as the Mazda, as it's heavier and the suspension is firmer. At least the handbrake works on both wheels!

Here's a link to the MCO's website for more info on the events:
http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Content&pid=7

Cool cars spotted:
1st generation BMW M6
SL65 AMG

No comments:

Post a Comment