Sunday, December 9, 2007

Mazda is sold. Time to finalize the Civic project!

The Mazda is provisionally sold and will be picked up by the buyer on Tuesday. This means it's time to finalize getting the Civic usable and legal. We've already been using the Civic as our main car. I still find it a pleasure to drive. It's small and nimble, yet torquey. I was really disappointed with the fuel economy at first until I remembered that the odometer was counting in miles and not kilometers (yes, I'm an idiot sometimes).

Since the Mazda is on its way, I figured I should take care of the federal inspection for the Civic this weekend. I did some research on the net and found that there might be an issue with the instructions and the warnings for the airbags as they are in English only on my car. I called Canadian Tire, who carry out the inspection, and they confirmed that I needed bilingual airbag labels. You would think this would be a piece of cake...

I stopped by Honda de Sigi to see if I could buy the stickers and was told i could only buy two of the three, so I ordered those and will have them tomorrow morning. They told me that you could not buy the label that goes on the sun visor, so I decided to get one at the scrap yard.

Saturday morning, I headed out to Chassel, a scrap yard on the South Shore that specializes in Honda's, to buy a Canadian sun visor. I told them what I needed and they directed me to a Civic Si hatch that was being dismantled in their garage. It had the sun visor, but only a single airbag. This meant that the label only referred to one airbag, while my Civic has two. I explained this to the guy, and we went outside together to hunt for a sun visor from a 2-airbag Civic, 1992-1995. This was fun, but not easy. I find it extremely fun to walk through a yard filled with partially disassembled Civics, but it is a bit less fun in two feet of snow. I peeked into a dozen 92-95 Civics, but none had 2 airbags. I finally found an Si Coupe way in the back and pulled out my screwdriver. Unfortunately, I stripped one of the two screws holding it in, even though I had the proper torx bit. By this point, I had cut my finger on something and it was dripping blood everywhere I went, even though the injury was a tiny pin hole on my fingertip.

I was debating whether to try to borrow a drill from the garage, but decided instead to look for another one. I figured I would see if the 1996-2000 visor would fit. The fact is, there were few dual airbag 1992-1995 Civic in Canada, while in the USA, the second airbag was standard from 1994 on. I found a red coupe half buried in the snow with a dual airbag visor. The car was missing so many parts and was partially buried that I couldn't even confirm whether it was a 94-95 or a 96+. Anyway, I got the visor off and headed inside. The guy let me test fit it before buying and it fit pretty well. Also, it had a mirror on it, which Alex would like. The cost was a reasonable 15$. So hopefully, the car will have all it needs to pass the inspection. I have until the 29th to do it.

I didn't do any work on my paper this past week and it's due in 11 days. Not good. I have to try to finish it this week. ATTACK!

Cool cars spotted:
wide-body Cadillac CTS

No comments:

Post a Comment