Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why do I drive an old Mazda 323?

You might wonder why I, a die hard car enthusiast, drive a car like a 1994 Mazda 323. Good question. There are several reasons.

1- No car payments. Mainly, I am a cheapskate and don't like to spend a lot of money on anything. I worked very hard to pay off all my debts in the past couple of years and the main thing I changed was reducing spending in almost all categories. The 323 was the cheapest car that is fun to drive and I could easily buy it without borrowing any money.

2- I like the 323. It's really a great car which is extremely fun to drive. I will write more about what "fun to drive" means in a future post, as I believe it is an extremely important factor which many manufacturers have forgotten to take into account.

3- I can't justify buying a "better car". I walk to work, I don't spend much time in my car in any given week, so I can't justify spending more on a car (which is why I'm building a bargain basement Civic to replace the Mazda). I don't think it will improve my quality of life much at all to buy a better car right now. This may come up as the topic of a future essay entitled "What are cars for anyway?", in which I might argue that there is a much bigger difference between having a 1000$ car and no car at all than between having a 100 000 $ car and a 1000$ car.

4- I can't justify keeping the race car if I also spend a lot on a street car.

In other news...

Nice cars spotted today:
Porsche 930
Porsche 996 Turbo
New Audi S8
Cadillac CTS-V
Viper GTS ACR
Astro-turf covered Honda Element

... all this on the walk home from work!

Trac Racing called and asked me what events I had coming up with the race car. Sadly, there are none, so they told me they would start working on the car now... I don't really know what they meant, but I hope it has something to do with body work, a new hood and bumpers...

I got an email from the guy who sold me the blue Civic a few days ago saying that the former owner (before him) received a notice that Canada Border Services had no proof the car was properly imported from the USA. I REALLY hope this does not cause any problems, as I'm starting work on this car in the next few days. I called Border Services and they said that if the car passed the provincial inspection and is registered, there should be no problem. We'll see...

My friend from France was here with her 1-year-old baby this evening. I tried to turn him on to car stuff at a very young age by letting play with an old toy Testarossa from my closet, but he preferred to slide it on its roof like a boat then roll it. Also, he much preferred playing with the lid from a jar of sauerkraut. Does this mean he won't be a car guy? We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment