Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Updates

It's been a while since I last posted and I apologize. Here are some updates on various non-car related topics:

Alex and I have booked out flights and lodging for her cousin's wedding in Barbados in early May. The Sunday after the wedding, there is a rally (the Automotive Art Shakedown Stages) at which I hope to spectate. Alex has no objection and, because Barbados is so small, I doubt logistics will be a problem if I want to spectate some stages. Barbados is a left-hand-drive country, so there are many cool JDM imported performance cars, like the Nissan Pulsar GTI-R and Toyota Starlet Turbo. Should be fun! Also, Alex's cousin has asked me to be her driver on the day before the wedding and the day of the wedding. I have to organise the car rental. It will be my first time driving a RHD car on the left (I've driven motorcycles on the left in Thailand and RHD cars on the track though). Alex and I are really looking forward to this vacation.

Here is a photo from the 2008 event:

Alex has handed in her PhD thesis and will defend her thesis before her committee on April 20th. After that, she is 100% done with her PhD. I am very proud.
The basketball team I coach won two of their four last games. One win was 41-21 and the other was 48-3. We then lost against the 2nd and 3rd place teams, 32-21 (after leading 10-2!) and 42-28 (that was today). The girls played well in the two losses and I have no complaints. We will make the playoffs (8 of 10 teams make them) and will likely play our first game against one of the teams that recently beat us. If we have a great game, we can take these teams!

The team I play on has been losing a bit more than we've been winning. We will still make the playoffs, which start next week. I have scored 7 to 11 points in the last three games, with one three-pointer in each game. Our injured captain is back, but another of our players cut up his finger in a snow blower... ouch!

I went running twice last week, the first time this year. It wasn't that bad: 9 km on Mount Royal in winter conditions followed by 10 km on the road a few days later in spring conditions. I felt pretty good, especially the second time, and clocked a mid 46 on the 10k, which is again decent for an early season training run.

Now to the car stuff:

My new club, the AISA, has a few members now, including some former provincial champions. Our April 18-19 race school at St-Eustache is steadily filling up.

Pat Boyer finally had time to take a look at my busted race motor. There was a broken valve. I have to order a new valve, retainer and head gasket so Pat can finish the job. Luckily, there is no significant damage to the head itself... dodged a bullet there.

I haven't done any work on the race car. Procrastination...

Yesterday, I got to try out my friend Raymond's new M3 4-door. Wow and wow. That car accelerates, and I didn't even rev it that high where the real power is. It does not feel light, but it sure feels tight. Also, as is common in BMW's, the ride is firm but not uncomfortable. It's a really nice car and it drives beautifully. He also has a 335 and I hope to drive that one too so I can see how they compare (the 335 actually has more torque than the M3).



Cool cars spotted:Bentley Continental GT
Bentley Continental Flying Spur
Porsche 997 turbo
AMG E55
AMG C63
Jaguar XF-R
Audi S4
Audi S5
Audi S6 Avant
BMW M3
BMW M5
Nissan Pulsar GTI-R
Toyota Celica Turbo RC
Mitsubishi Evolution
Subary WRX STi

1 comment:

  1. Hey, je savais pas que tu allais être le chauffeur des mariés ! Félicitations !!!

    Cours pas trop quand meme, tu vas avoir trop d'avance sur moi. Je pense que je vais commencer la course ce soir avec mon club de ski, car la neige commence à manquer sur le Mont-Royal !

    ReplyDelete