Friday, January 25, 2008

Car show.

I know I haven't posted in a while, but not much has been going on on the car front. Last Sunday, I stupidly left the car in neutral with no handbrake on in a big parking lot and I found my car out in the middle of the road. I was lucky it didn't roll into anything.

The car show has rolled into town and I went, even though there is usually not much exciting stuff for someone like me, who may never buy a brand new car. Still, there were some cars I had never seen before that are interesting to the enthusiast. Here is my report:

Subaru WRX STi: it looks better than I thought it would. It costs less than I thought it would. Clarkson wrote about it in the times last week and he was quite unimpressed with the car. Apparently the car is disappointingly quiet now too... pity.

Mitsubishi Evo: it looks worse than I thought it would. Even though it has big brakes and BBS wheels, it manages to look a bit cheap. The hood seems to be made of plastic or something. Also, it costs 6000$ more than the STi. Ouch!

BMW M3: there will be no mistaking it for lesser versions with the massive hood bulge and carbon fibre roof. I don't like the shape of the sills under the doors. Otherwise, a cool car.


BMW 135: I thought this would be the BMW for guys like me: smaller than the 3-series, cool engines on offer. I was pleased to see that the wheelbase was short (it actually reminded me of the 80's 3-series). However, the car looks too tall, as the roof seems to be about the same height as the 3-series. The overall proportions, then, are not great.

Race cars: as usual, there were few. There were a couple of stock cars (boooooring to look at). Lotus had brought out a cool racing Exige with a massive intercooler. Lexus had brought out their GS450h that competed in the Targa Newfoundland rally. It was funny to see the wood and leather door panels cut up to accomodate the roll cage.

I still don't have the results of the snowcross... quite annoying. That's about it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment