Thursday, September 10, 2026

It didn't take long to meet my lap time goal with the RSX

Well, I mentioned that "if all the planets aligned", I thought the RSX could break into the 1:16's at ICAR. In the end, I didn't have to wait for all conditions to be optimal... After the huge improvement in lap times after the wheel swap last week, I was only a couple of tenths of a second away, with a 1:17.1. I headed to ICAR again this Tuesday in substantially the same conditions as a week earlier (it was again 22 degrees in temperature) with a very small weight reduction (maybe 20 pounds) from swapping over to a lightweight batttery I bought for the 2000 Civic. 

Right off the bat, in the first session, I managed a 1:16.7. I was pretty happy with that, and did not expect to beat that time again that evening. In the end, I did not, but I managed a 1:16.9 in two of the other three sessions of the evening.  In the 4th session, I tried to follow Robin in his lightweight Civic 1.7. I had not managed the week before, but he would have a passenger this time. We had a fun session, he was a bit quicker but never pulled away due to traffic. We both caught and passed JS in his Civic 1.7, but he was really not much slower than us. After that session, I was ready to call it a night. Because they were mixing the intermediate and advanced groups, I would have had time to run a 5th session if I had felt like it, but I decided not to push my luck when the eveninfg had gone so well and the car had had no issues. It was getting dark and I had not even brought enough gas for a 5th session anyway. 

I was really happy with the car and was able to get home earlier than usual. It was a satisfying evening. 


Nice cars, but they didn't do any laps

Champcar Civic coupe

Nice Evo 10

Jonathan's fast 350Z

BMW 335 or 340 parked next to me

Lower budget BMW

Sweet Mustang vintage racer

No comments:

Post a Comment