Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Back from our summer trip

We just got back from our 6-week trip to Italy (and Geneva) and there is much to catch up on. The trip was lovely, although the weather was hot. We covered almost 5 000 km in our rental car, a new Opel Corsa (gas, manual) without any issues. We were supposed to have a Fiat Panda, but the one they gave us had a problem with the rear seatbelts and seat, so they handed us the key to this Opel instead. I'm sure the Opel was a much better road trip car, but I have still never driven a panda.

We picked up the car in Rome and made the 5-hours drive to our apartment in Genova. A few days later, we visited Geneva for a few days (Alex had a conference, see separate post for the car-spotting) and after another stint in Genova, we drove to Florence (another conference). We also made the 2-hour drive to see my cousin and aunt in Monaco (see separate Monaco car-spotting post), and I even managed to attend race events at Italy's two most iconic race tracks (I will make a separate post for this as well!). We met with friends, saw the leaning tower of Pisa, and hit the beach a few times as well. We ended the trip passing through Siena and spent our final day in Rome. It was an awesome trip, but I'm glad to be back to enjoy the second half of summer in Montreal. Here are some of the cars I spotted in Italy. 

I don't know why I like the Punto Abarth so much, but I do!

Audi RS4 Avant

The newest Honda Jazz is popular among taxi drivers

The new Renault 5 often comes in nice bright colours

View from our building in the evening

British racing green classic Mini

The Red Bull Cerro Abajo downnill mountain bike race was in town... crazy stuff

Someone was using this beautiful early WRX as their wedding car

I saw very few Renault RS cars

Mint condition Autobianchi A112

Properly used Discovery

Very clean 70's Fiat

Another Punto Abarth

The Canadair water bombers were in action every day

NSU Prinz

A double rainbow in Genova

I don't even know this Honda, the Logo

Surprised to spot this Supra in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere

Never sold in Canada: Mk.3 Golf GTi 16v

993 half on the sidewalk

Italy's Miata

Off-road spec Suzuki Jimny

Faded paint on this Alfa 145

Seicento Sporting looks sharp

Lancia Fulvia at a garage in Florence

Lovely manual XJS

This 205 GTi 1.6 needs paint

Another new retro Renault: the Clio

Lovely 106 Rallye on Speedline wheels

Ranger Raptor, not common in Europe

There seems to be a crossover version of the Jazz as well

Old E-class wagon on BBS-style wheels

Older Jimny

I saw a few of these chop-top 500's

Gordini Twingo

A 993 in Annecy

Focus RS on our way back to Italy

Clean E36 in our neighbourhood in Genova

Clean E30

Chinese SUV, halfway between an Land Cruiser and a Defender?

Tastefully modded Civic EG sedan near the Old Port

The sporty version of the Alfa Mito?

Lovely Clio 16v in our neighbourhood

Aston Martin in Santa Margherita

Rope doors open!

Yes, another Punto Abarth

I still love the look of a Brera

Yet another off-road-themed Jimny

Oscar puts his touch on the leaning tower of Pisa

Modern Cayman tucked under a building in Pisa

Aston Martin in Pisa

Monaco plated Phaeton at a supermarket

A newer Autobianchi

A Chrysler Neon in Italy? I didn't know they sold them in Europe

Delta, but not Integrale

Another off-roader, a 2-door Land Cruiser

One of my favourite Abarth 595 colours

Two SUV's on Chinese plates in the Old Port

Main piazza in Siena

A clean Alfa 75 in Rome

Satin black RCZ

... and a satin black M5 wagon

Coliseum at night

Military vehicles at the train station in Rome. Notice the drip pans under each one!

A clean black EK Coupe in Rome... I miss mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment