Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Still enjoying summer!

Yesterday at lapping, I got to drive a student’s 1990 Porsche 911 for a couple of laps at St-Eustache. The car was pleasant to drive and had a decent amount of power and torque. The car did feel a bit unstable in the corners. I really like the narrow-bodied look of these 964-generation 911’s, but the consequence is that the car feels much less stable than a post-2000 911. My student actually managed to spin the car on his first lap when he entered a corner (the dog-leg) too fast. Would I buy one of these 911's? Probably not... they are not cheaper than 996 and 997's, but they are much less comfortable or reliable. I am getting soft in my old age, I guess.

Photobucket
A Carrera 2 like the one I drove yesterday.

I had the pleasure of riding with Rob in his E36 M3 later in the evening, and he also managed to spin with me aboard! He had gone over a wet rumble strip a bit too aggressively when trying to keep up with a vintage 911. In fact, there were a bunch of 911’s at the track yesterday (at least 6), along with some other really cool cars (Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R and R32 Skyline GTR). Aside from myt student with the 964, I had one student with an S2000 (my knees touch the dash as a passenger), an Audi S6 V10 (lots of torque) and a new 911 convertible (stable and comfortable).

I haven’t actually driven the race car in two weeks, as I have not been able to finish work early enough on a Monday. I hope to remedy this next week. Even if I miss lapping, I will be heading to Tremblant on August 11th and 12th to instruct for the BMW club and get some track time in the Civic.

The marathon training continues. Last week was an easy week and I just enjoyed two days off of running in a row, which almost never happens in this training plan.

Cool cars spotted:

Jaguar E-type V12 Coupe
Jaguar E-type convertible
Ferrari F430
Ferrari 348
Ferrari 550
BMW Z8
Acura NSX
Flat black Mercedes SL550
Flat silver AMG C63
CL600
Audi RS4
Audi S6 V10
Audi S8 V10
Audi R8 (loud)
Aston Martin DB9
Aston Martin Vantage
Ford GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Maserati GT convertible
MGTD
Porsche 997 Turbo S
Porsche 993 Carrera 4S
Porsche 996 GT3
Porsche 997 GT3
Porsche 997 Turbo
Porsche 928
Porsche 930 Slantnose
Bentley Mulsanne
Bentley Azure
Rolls Royce Corniche
Nissan Skyline GT-R R32
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 1
Alfa Romeo Spider (1980)
Lotus Esprit HF Turbo
Dodge Viper SRT10

No comments:

Post a Comment