Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lots to catch up on...

I have been running around a lot in the past few days! Alex is in San Antonio, Texas, for a work-related conference and will be back tomorrow. I have been running around trying to keep the Civic and M3 in working condition (with limited success) and attending various events. Monday of last week at lapping, I managed to strip the 4th gear in the Civic transmission. I had to buy back the spare transmission I had sold to a friend so that the car could be used Thursday and Friday, as I was scheduled to instruct at the BMW Club of Quebec Mid Summer Heat high performance driver education event at Tremblant. The transmission was replaced by wednesday night, but, unfortunately, the Civic would not start Thursday morning and I had to head to the track without it. Fortunately, Rob let me have a session in his E36 M3 and Marc was able to fix my Civic Thursday. I picked it up Thursday night so I could use it at Tremblant Friday. On Friday, I more than made up for lost time, running the car in seven different sessions. I managed a best lap of 2:02.42, about the same as last year, running on some well-used Nitto NT01 tires.

Here is a video of 4 laps viewed from my Civic:



I saw a bunch of Ferraris from the "Ferrari Experience" at the track and on the street: 458's, California's and a 599. Nice, and loud. On the way home from the track, I picked up the M3 from Marc's so I could head to a family get-together Saturday in rural Ontario, 700 km away. After a (very) scary moment on the highway in the rain on Sunday, I decided to bring the car back to Marc's, so he could find out why the rear alignment seemed to change when the car went over a bump and to change the worn rear tires. I hope he can find out what's wrong so I won't have to take it to a more experienced mechanic.

On Thursday night, I head to Calabogie with the Civic for an ASE Lapping Club track day on Friday. On Saturday, I am scheduled to instruct at the Fiat/Alfa Romeo Club of Quebec track day at St-Eustache. Last year, I got to drive some pretty neat cars on that day.

The marathon training plan takes a lot of hours and is still pretty grueling. I had one of my worst runs the other day on a Sunday morning. It was hot, and I was really overheating. Surprisingly, the runs I had after getting home from Tremblant Friday and from Ontario Sunday (26 km) went well, despite coming at the end of long days. I guess part of it is related to nutrition (I had an interesting talk with my cousin Dave about nutrition. He is a triathlete who works for Nestle, makers of Powerbar, whose gels I use). This Sunday, I will have to run a quick half-marathon. Last year, I managed to complete the distance in under 1:28, and I am hoping I can do it again this year. Stay tuned...

Cool cars spotted:
Aston Martin Vantage
Ferrari 348
Ferrari 355
Ferrari 360
Porsche 997 GT3
Porsche 997 turbo
Porsche 964 Turbo
Porsche 993 Turbo
Jaguar E-Type
Corvette Z06
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
Bentley Arnage Black Label
Bentley Continental
Rolls Royce Corniche
Audi R8
Audi S6 Avant
Audi RS4
BMW Z8
Lamborghini Gallardo
AMG SLS
AMG C63

No comments:

Post a Comment