Thursday, May 6, 2010

Setbacks for the race car...

It turns out the transmission on the race car needed more work than we thought. As a result, my car will not be ready before the weekend and I won't be bringing it to Calabogie. This is not as bad as it sounds, as there was not that much track time available to instructors and it looks like it's going to rain (or maybe even snow). Because we lost our basketball game last week, I have one more game to play tomorrow night and I won't be able to leave until Saturday morning (at around 4:30 am!). The weekend will be pretty hectic, as I also have to squeeze in a 29 km run, the longest of the training plan. Fortunately, Alex is willing to join me on her bike (which, conveniently, will fit in the hatch of the street Civic!).

The Ottawa marathon is in only 3 weeks. It's now sold out: there will be 4500 marathoners! I'm a bit nervous, but I'm still following my training plan (I will be heading out for an 18 km run tonight), which gives me confidence. On Tuesday, I had trouble keeping up with the program, which called for 3:50 km's with a 2-minute break between each. Still, it's going well over all. I just feel like I don't have much free time, with the race schools, basketball, Monday night lapping, getting the race car ready, and training 4 times per week.

Monday night lapping at St-Eustache has begun. I headed over there with my friend Ray in his new BMW Z4. Modern BMW's are really nice cars. The folding hardtop is brilliant. I instructed one of our regulars in his mid-90's BMW 328. It was a pleasant car to drive. I had a student with a near-300 hp Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo. The car is quite impressive and does not feel out of place on the track. I had a student with a Civic hatch like mine, but with a Type R engine... nice. My last student had an E46 M3 convertible. Even in convertible form, the car is a pleasure to drive. I hope to have my race car by next Monday, but it's not a sure thing. There are photos of the evening taken by Jeremy here:
http://burn-out.ca/content/club-de-lapping-ase-0503

Cool cars spotted:
AMG E63
AMG CLS63
AMG C63
AMG G55
Mercedes CL600
Audi S4
Ferrari F430
Ferrari 412(!)
Corvette Z06
BMW M3
Porsche 996 turbo
Porsche 998
Maserati GT
Maserati Quattroporte
SaabViggen
Saab SPG
Lotus Elise
Ford GT
Dodge Viper SRT10
Cadillac CTS-V

No comments:

Post a Comment