Monday, August 25, 2008

Busy Sunday

Yesterday was the last Trac Racing Time Attack of 2008. Unfortunately, my car began overheating, despite a new head gasket. It seems the problem might have been that the timing was not set properly. I hope to do enough testing this evening to figure it out.

I still got to do a few timed laps in Carl's Type R (unfortunately equiped with so-so front tires) and JP's car. I was 1 second slower than Carl in his car, 2 seconds slower than JP in his. That's what you get with no practice!

The event was beautifully organized by Carl and there were over 50 drivers participating. Some of the newer TLC members are getting quite fast!

When the event ended, I headed to ICAR, the new track at Mirabel airport. Below you can see my modified diagram that shows the layout most clubs use. I was instructing at a VAG Tuning event. I have to thank JP for letting me use his car for this event. His 1.6 liter Civic was a great car for this twisty track. There were very few instructors on hand, so I basically led out groups of cars in a follow-the-leader. Fortunately for me, expert driver Gilles Villeneuve (yes, same name) was on hand to show me 2 laps behind the ICAR Mustang. Also, the track was clearly marked with turn-in and apex cones, which helped a lot.

People who expect this track to be another Tremblant or Mosport will be sadly disappointed. However, the track is fun, seems safe, and is a good use of the available space. It is lit for night driving, but it is not at all like driving in the day time. When it started to rain at about 9:00 pm, I called it quits, as my tires were almost slick. Unfortunately, one person heavily damaged his E46 M3 at the hairpin. I enjoyed getting some track time at this new location and hope to be able to head back with my own car in the future.

Thanks to photographer Vincent Pouliot for the excellent photos of me driving JP's car!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:

Post a Comment